Monday 10 October 2011

Week 11 - 3D

2. GROUP EXERCISE – Concept Evaluation
Giving feedback on the effectiveness of your design process and concept communication PART 1 – 20 mins
Students present 3D exhibition designs and explain progress in the last week The GROUP gives verbal feedback on:

1.Effectiveness of design process 
2.Effectiveness of concept communication 
3.Progress in the last week

 Billie
Progress on my 3D is much the same as my 2D design. I’ve been cleaning up my design and with the help of Mark in today lesson I made a lot of progress on getting it right before I send it to the laser cutters to be cut out of wood for my 3D design. I also need to find out what the best format to send my design to them is and Josie also filled me in that they do accept Illustrator files which helps a lot.
Reference: Week 11 – 3D Billie Mackie


Warwick
I have researched the different types of artificial grass to use as a base for my Irrigation Coffee table. Josie informed me that Bunnings had fake grass sold by the metre so I went on their website and looked at the different types available. Its roughly $30/m for the base grade stuff so I might need a couple of metres. I need to go in and check it out.
Reference: Warwick Brown Week 11 - 3D

Josie
"My progress is somewhat slowing to a halt.
Lettering: My Materials are there but I wont get the MDF for the lettering until sometime this week and from there it will go to the laser cutters.Circles: Unfortunately I cant use Perspex so I’m going to use acetate and cut the circles out with a compass Blade."
Reference: Josie Trayte Week 11 – 3D 

Sunita
"My progress for the past week included experimenting and finding different materials that could work for the style of rood I want on my traditional house. Also thinking about how I want to place my half house on the wall."
Reference: Sunita Murphy Week 11 – 3D


3. PRACTICAL – Design Realisation
20 mins – Develop 3D Exhibition Designs / 5 mins Blog
The progress of my 3D design is a bit on hold at the moment until I've finished cleaning up my design before I send it to the laser cutters to do their thing. I emailed them the other day to get their opinion on what materials I should use as I'm starting to question whether i use ply wood like i originally planned or not. But they have actually closed up shop till the 17th so i wont hear back from the laser cutters till then. I'm starting to think that sheet metal would look pretty cool. 

I really like the rustic look of the cut metal on this design
I absolutely love how this creates such beautiful shadows
This week i've been thinking more and more that i think I'd really like to do my piece in metal. It would still be light enough to mount on the wall but it would give a totally difference look. I'd really like to get the Laser cutters opinion first before i make any decisions but I can really see the finished design in metal. 

No comments:

Post a Comment