Sunday 25 September 2011

Week 9 - 3D

2. GROUP EXERCISE – Concept Realisation PRODUCING A RANGE - 25 mins
1. Present and discuss your 3D exhibition piece(s) with the class (5 mins each) 
2. How many of you are collaborating with other schools?

Today we were given the opportunity to tell the class where we were at with our 3D designs. As i mentioned in week 8 I have spoken to Simon who is the Sculpture lecturer and he gave me some great ideas on what materials to use to create my tree design. I'm going to use 12mm ply wood (base off a crate) and I'm still deciding on whether I trace the design on myself using a projector and cut out my design using a jigsaw or if I should take my design to a professional who would laser cut my design out of the plywood. The second option I think would be a cleaner cut and takes out any human (being me) errors in the process. I'm planning on getting a quote this week from a place in Winnellie so i can toss up which option will be best. Territory Laser Cutting are the only place in the territory which have an Industrial Laser Cutter so i'll be speaking to them and getting some more information. http://www.tlcnt.com.au/index.php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=1





3. PRACTICAL – Design Realisation 30 mins
1. Work on your own for the exhibition

2. Make a list of your proposed exhibition works
Wooden tree design including sections of the tree in box frames

      Dimensions
Approximately 2m wide x 1.5m high (12mm thick off the wall)

Display requirements (hanging / floor space / special FX / audio / video) 
I need a large wall space a little bigger than 1.5m high x 2m wide and i'll be using some damage free hangers which lock into place and 1 hanger will hold up to 7kg. 
http://solutions.3m.com.au/wps/portal/3M/en_AU/APACCommand/Home/Products/Product-Catalog/?PC_7_RJH9U523008J50I6JONUQD0KS2_nid=WZRR506GFPgsF0GFSQ26BSgl2GW6PZ3FC7bl&currID=86QH3CT1CLbe


Damage free hangers
I thought these would be great to hang my design as it will be in approx 5-6 separate pieces and these hangers can easily be moved if they are in the incorrect position and they dont damage the walls.

A short description of the concept 
The idea came from creating a modern wall paper design which then turned into 3 dimensional wall art. 

The name of the piece 
I havent decided on the name of my piece as yet. Something along the lines of Outside the Frame or Inside the Tree. Something that says its bring the trees inside. 

Materials used
12mm ply for the tree design as well as 3 or 4 box frames for the sections being framed. The tree will also be painted black so it appears like a silhouette. 

Black Box frame
Above is the sort of box frames I'd like to use with my design. 


Below is a pretty tacky video on 3M Innovations, but i'll let them get away with it this time because they really do have some great products. 

No comments:

Post a Comment